View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 12:05 PM

New Planning Commission presentation up for 8/25. Three items for this week - the last of which is pretty substantial.

1. Historic nomination of the Herron Hill Pumping Station. We covered this when it was before the HRC a few months back. I'm still not sure this is preservation is warranted. The building is very remuddled in its present state, missing basically all of its windows. It's also set quite far back from Centre, totally out of context with One on Centre across the street. This honestly feels like the selective use of historic designation to block future development.

2. Historic nomination of the Gallagher-Kieffer House. This is somewhat more warranted from the perspective of historical integrity, as its a fine single-family home built in the shingle style, which is rare in Pittsburgh. Once again though, it's in a very busy part of North Oakland (wedged between an apartment building and a church parking lot) and it feels like this is being nominated in order to block the possibility of a larger-scale structure being eventually built on the block.

3. The substantive project for next week is a new building at 1501 Penn. Yes, the proposed tower replacing the Wholey warehouse is not only not dead, but going before the Planning Commission. Despite Peduto's comments, it doesn't seem like the actual design has changed all that much. Looks like the project has met all the zoning requirments for the GT-B zoning district. I have to say I'm not a fan of the big parking garage, but it's no worse than the existing cold-storage building, I suppose. My bigger issue with the design though is the choice to essentially make Smallman the "front door" with retail, and to turn Penn Avenue into largely the service entrance (complete with a truck loading dock). I would strongly prefer this is pushed onto 15th Street.

Last edited by eschaton; Aug 19, 2020 at 3:13 PM.