View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
I actually pull out my 311 App and it's quite easy to request a tree along the parkways. When I walk my kids in their stroller I sit there and boom boom boom, request trees as I walk where I see they are missing or lost - even though it's not my property. I thought it would be fruitless - but alas as I walk now I see new trees going in one by one where I pointed them out.
hm, this is interesting, and contradictory to what ive read elsewhere. heres an article from 2016:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...oses-each-year

Quote:
But another big part is policy: Under rules that have lasted during Williams' tenure and persisted "far longer than I've been here," the city will not replace a tree on a residential street unless the adjacent property owner specifically asks for one. The request has to be overt. It's not just that the homeowner can veto a tree. They have to specifically ask for one, Williams says.

Some people are upset about plumbing bills from roots that easily can run $800 a year, Williams says. Others actually will tear the tree out, or just ignore it in the summer heat and let it die.

"You don't want to plant a tree unless someone wants it," Williams says. "I don't t think this notion of one-for-one replacement is the way to go."

How about maybe just asking the homeowner and planting unless they say no? Answer: "No. I have not considered that. I want to put in trees where people want them."

Williams gets backing from Rogers Park Ald. Joe Moore, 49th.

"It costs $600 to plant a tree," he says. "Sometimes people will tear them out, or move them to their back yard. It's just a matter of dollars and cents. If the homeowner doesn't care (for the tree), it's going to die."