Thread: VIA Rail
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 7:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Do local Quebec Breweries also do French and English labels? I would think in Ontario French and English by law need to be on the cans. I'm going to look into this next time I get something from one off the breweries in my hood.
It seems that most microbrews in both Quebec and Ontario limit themselves to the absolute basics in terms of bilingualism (ie BEER / BIÈRE or BEER /BIÈRE). The cardboard box it comes in might also have a black and white nutrition facts box which is by default bilingual.

Generally speaking though the "story" of the beer on a bottle or a can is in one language only. There are some exceptions but not that many really. Space is fairly limited and for many Quebec at least, there is sometimes a somewhat long-winded story about what local legend or folk tale inspired the beer, or a bio of the person that the beer is named for.

I checked the two main microbreweries here in Gatineau and their labelling (aside from the requisite BIÈRE / BEER) is all only in French, and we are right next to Ottawa/Ontario. Even the type of beer is only in French, as in "Blonde de style belge". Though I suppose it's not that hard to figure out...