View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 5:40 PM

I found this slide on eBay earlier today. We've seen Ken Clark's Pontiac dealership at 3740 Crenshaw before on NLA (see below), but not this one.

eBay

The seller dates the picture above as 1940s, and the Crenshaw site was still an empty lot until at least 1952, so I had to look elsewhere. I Googled Ken Clark Pontiac, but all the first hits I got were for the Crenshaw address. Then I found a 2010 newsletter on encasedcollectorsinternational.org which has a "Guest Article" by "John C Clark (youngest of 3 sons of Kenneth DeLoss Clark)". Here's an extract:

"My father was Ken Clark. His first dealership was in Los Angeles at an address on Jefferson Blvd. Then, he expanded to what I believe was 4242 Crenshaw Blvd. (not sure - would have to research to double verify).

In the 50's, his last dealership before he sold it out in about 1960 to Majestic Pontiac was Ken Clark Pontiac at 3740 Crenshaw Blvd., at the corner of Crenshaw and Coliseum. That dealership stayed in business until around 2000, as the community then deteriorated and the dealers left Crenshaw Row, one by one."

The picture above has a prominent gasometer, and I didn't have to go far from the Crenshaw site before I spotted one between Exposition Boulevard and 36th Street. As I looked along Jefferson Boulevard, I saw there was an L-shaped building on the corner of 11th Avenue. It's just below Jefferson in the top-right corner of the 1948 aerial below.

Historic Aerials

Here's a shot of that building today.

GSV

This is Ken Clark Pontiac at 3740 Crenshaw Boulevard in either 1959 or 1960, depending on which source you believe. BifRayRock posted a smaller version of this image in post #13390.

Alden Jewell on Flickr

As John C Clark mentioned, the dealership became Majestic Pontiac around 1960. Here's a picture I found that's titled "The former Majestic Pontiac dealership stands silent next door to the Holiday Bowl."

www.synthetrix.com

The dealership is now long gone ...

GSV

... but the original sign, complete with neon Indian, is still there.

GSV