View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 3:12 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I don't want to pile on too much, but it looks like the parking garage is going to eat that poor little VA clinic. lol If they were going to put up something that obstructive, they might as well have just put the clinic on the ground floor of the parking garage, or if they needed more space on top of it. Of, they could have found some way to "wrap" it around the garage, or at least put the clinic at a corner of the site and extended it upwards.

There were just so many other massing options they could have gone with that would have been preferable to this one. The GSA really needs to do better. I remember when they were going to put up a new regional FBI headquarters building in Detroit, and the thing was tall, but it was a superblock compound of a thing that totally didn't respect the surrounding neighborhood. Fortunately, the project faced enough opposition to be cancelled.

I know the GSA is trying to save money, and it's understandable given the political climate over the last two or three years. But, I always say, that a tight and/or small budget is no excuse for bad design. There is a happy medium between some opulent government palace and this. This agency needs a bit more vision.
I agree LMich... they definitely had an opportunity to mitigate the amount of "exposed concrete." Considering how much of an improvement downtown as a whole is seeing now, its a shame that this is going to be constructed in such a manner.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Sep 25, 2013 at 6:26 AM.