View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 11:27 PM

Also keep in mind, that list was mainly about the downtown LUB/plan, not the Regional Centre Plan. Although I can bet you will likely see similar comments.

I mentioned this in the YMCA thread that the Calgary Events Committee for the Alberta Professional Planners Institute had Michael Ronkin come speak about complete streets - really great presentation. HRM is already doing a lot of what is needed for a complete street, adding people, requiring commercial but there is so much more. Making sure that businesses have access to the sidewalk, limiting parking. My favorite comment he made was he showed a massive 8 lane highway in Las Vegas that was 150' wide and then the same ROW in Paris. When you looked at the Paris street, it was way more beautiful and functional for people, bikes and cars were last. As he pointed out, it was congested and that's part of what we have to accept. If we are going to make great places, then sometimes it means it might take a few more minutes for cars to get through...

I mentioned him on the Plan HRM website - I hope they bring him in, because his presentation was very interactive.