View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 2:21 AM
because history matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
The RR is more or less a separate entity. SEPTA oversees all public transit in SE PA and essentially operates four divisions - City Transit, Victory and Frontier (suburban bus and light rail routes) and Regional Rail. New York's MTA is laid out in a similar manner - city subways and buses run as a different part of MTA from the LIRR or Metro-North.
Point taken. But I still think that such a structure detracts from the overall transit situation in the city. Ideally, it would all operate as one system, and I think if it did, more people would use the system. I'm not sure if that's a realistic hope, just something I've observed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
The reason I said to extend the subway to the malls is because it serves two of the regions major malls, and also covers a route that is covered by a 24 hour bus line. It also brings the subway to some of the most critical suburbs of the city in the region, and might help tie the region together.
Having grown up by the Willow Grove Mall, I can see where you're coming from with this. There are people who would utilize such a line, but I think potential projects within the city should have higher priority. I think the need is greater, and there will be a greater return on investment. But I think that using transit to bring city and suburb closer sometime in the distant future is a worthwhile goal, just lower on the list than some other goals.