View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
19th century freight cars were much smaller than even a Toronto PCC.
Didn't these have to be hauled by locomotives, which may well have been much larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking. PCC streetcars had their bogies regauged a few centimeters by local shops as they moved from city to city, from various US cities phasing them out to Mexican cities or Toronto—and in some cases, back to San Francisco for its Market Street operation. I don't know of any transit operation that has ever regauged its guideways, and the only large-scale network regauging I've ever heard of is the one (maybe 3000 km in all) undertaken in the Southern US in 1886.
Regauging vehicles themselves is one thing but changing the gauge of an existing network means changing the tracks as well as regauging or renewing the existing fleet, and not every operator can do this a little at a time.

A few European tramway networks, such as Stuttgart and Chemitz, have been regauged, but metre gauge and the narrow gauge used in Chemitz differ(ed) enough from standard that dual gauge track is possible, and so they could do the conversion a little at a time, with dual gauge track wherever the old and new fleet shared tracks.

Last edited by Myrtonos; Sep 20, 2021 at 11:17 AM. Reason: fix grammar