View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 12:46 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver#/media/Fileenver_Colorado_1898_-_LOC_-_restoration1.jpg

Dang, I wake up from a nice long siesta and it looks like I'm back in the 1800's. Eh, It takes more than techno-color to fool me. Nice post btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Okay, this is officially the coolest development in Denver in awhile. Love the repurposed manufacturing site and retail lanes going through it.
http://denverrockdrill.com
Definitely, in spades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Denver circa 1983 was such a depressing place. There had been that great building boom in late 70s and early 80s, then came the 1982 recession and the collapse of the oil markets. At one point, Denver had the highest office vacancy rate downtown in the developed world, reaching 30 percent at one point.

Meanwhile, as shown by the picture, there was that large "rust belt" to southwest, west, and northwest, where Elitches, Pepsi Center, Union Station, Riverfront, Coors Field, RiNO and Ballpark are now. Midtown was also in decline, with a perception of high crime and urban decay. Beautiful historical houses were available on the cheap, if you were willing to live with that.

It was damn depressing. Denver population was in accelerating decline, ultimately losing 30,000 people in the 1980s with a general sense of malaise and decline.

Then and now is such an amazing contrast.
It boggles me mind. Present day compared to the era of see-through buildings downtown.

While Denver had stabilized and there were green shoots in LoDo for me it was getting Coors Field that made a catalytic difference. It gave the city a positive vibe among the whole metro area and helped propel the future of downtown. Not an easy deal to put together and an early example of the will of the Denver/metro residents in supporting the bonding for the ballpark project. Many thanks to the people of Baltimore for creating the first modern-day retro-park in Oriole Park at Camden Yards which was the easy choice for Denver to copy.