View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 1:34 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Oh no, I don't mean the language. I can speak Russian myself and despite I've never heard Bulgarian language before, I can catch what my Bulgarian friends speak among themselves in Bulgarian... and they can speak Russian even though they've never even been to Russia and don't know that much about it.
What I mean is cultural differences. Czech Republic, for instance, has perhaps much more in common with Germany or Hungary regarding its culture, history and traditions than it has with it's "Slavic brothers" Russia or Ukraine... perhaps no even need to mention the Balkans (take Croatia and Serbia... their language is virtually identical but that's where the similarities and the friendship ends).
Some Slavs adopted latin spelling and Catholic or Protestant Church, other use cyrillic/Orthodox Church. But so what? If I read your post correctly, you suggest that Slavic world is culturally diverse. I concur. To me, however, it does not mean that it does not exist.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell