View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevbar1 View Post
After giving it some thought, maybe this height limit Isnt the worst thing for this city. Sure, it stifles some fantastic projects, and comes from a place of NIMBYism rather than actual concern for an urban fabric. But by forcing buildings to be 30 floors or less, we get far more projects spread throughout the city that create plenty of infill. Perhaps if we had a taller height limit, the number of projects and lots filled would be lower. While it would be a win for most of us here as skyscraper enthusiasts, it really doesnt improve the generally very poor urban fabric of downtown as a whole. If we continue to get shorter but more spread out projects, then Hamilton's core will become far more livable as a result. Would love to hear some thoughts on this.
After looking more into the economics of things too, I've become a fan of it as well. Your point is a great one. Having spoken with Jason Thorne about this policy, I became a supporter of it. His point is that there is a certain level of demand for Hamilton, and if it is all met downtown with skyscrapers, other areas of city won't get that same new growth.

The big issue is our idiot city council not incentivizing (cough LRT) development and outright denying them in many areas.

The other benefit is the effect on speculation. By setting a limit, there is a known profitability for properties, and therefore land can't be sold as if it could fetch a 50 storey height and it's profitability, which keeps land prices lower. Again, this is highly dependent on how council welds this power, and they do it terribly, but the on paper goal is sound from an economics perspective.

As we can see, there is enough demand for 30 storey buildings that a city that has had no condo development in 30 years has tons of towers proposed and being built, as well as new hotels and even some proposed office. Hamilton will be a completely different city in 10 years, and I'm doubtful as to the arguments against the building height limit, limiting that change.

Again, this is a forum for "skyscrapers" but I feel there is a bit of fetishism about tall building here that is simply around taller=better. As if the sky is the limit. I come here because new developments mean the city is progressing, and new people downtown will significantly alter the cities economics. People here also don't seem to have spoken with many developers, because higher =/= more profit in all cases, sometimes there is a profit margin at a lower height that is better.

Criticism of height, and support for the height limit gets attacked here though. Burlington does it all wrong, with it's inability to reign in development, whether you agree it should be done or not, but Hamilton's height limit is actually utilized and seems to be working. I would have been fine with a 20 storey limit if the city could properly wield the power to push medium density developments out to Ottawa, Kenilworth and Parkdale along the LRT corridor.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09