View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Nice—this is exactly the kind of infill we need. The houses at the bottom right of this picture, however, are the kinds of buildings I'm concerned about in the future. No heritage protection, and developers are clearly willing to run roughshod over stuff like this. Another spot that needs to be an HCD.
I think the rendering shows how these different types of buildings can coexist and form interesting neighbourhoods. If the protections for character buildings were a bit better Halifax could easily have the best of both worlds, new buildings with lots of vibrancy and lots of character from old buildings. That would make it a pretty unique city as well.

It's interesting to see so much development along Robie Street. In the long run, I think Robie will become a part of downtown and Quinpool will be more like an extension of downtown rather than a strip of neighbourhood shops. This will make Halifax feel like a much larger city, and suggests that transportation around the urban core will become more important in the future.

The Canal towers in Dartmouth look interesting. It is nice to see some major proposals aside from King's Wharf. Dartmouth still has a lot of empty and underused land.

I guess these must represent 2,000-3,000 residential units in total, and space for around 4,000-5,000 new residents. This seems like a lot but it is not an unreasonable amount of development. The metropolitan area as a whole adds that number of new people every year (actually a bit more this year, and households may still be shrinking). If the aim is to have 25% of new development in the city then this is the volume of development that needs to happen every 3-4 years.