View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Except SUV sales have risen faster in Europe.
A misleading statistic that's often brought up. European sales are up..... From a smaller base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Like I said, fuel taxes have been shown to reduce C02 emissions and influence consumer behaviours. Your personal demagoguery aside, taxing vehicles based on their emission rating has not.
That's why I'm okay with simply resorting to regulatory measures and putting it all on the OEMs. Maybe this will get them to electrify SUVs faster. Taxing is only an option where IEMs have refused and successfully lobbied against things like including SUVs as cars under CAFE.

That aside this seems like a convenient dodge put up by folks who know that Canadian gas prices would never catch up to Europe, even with a $200/tonne carbon tax.

I'd like to see what your genuine solution is for this:

Quote:
A recent report by the International Energy Agency shows that Canada’s vehicles have the highest average fuel consumption and carbon dioxide emissions per kilometre driven. They are also the largest and the second heaviest in the world.

Quote:
Far and away the biggest reason for Canada’s fuel inefficient vehicles comes down to cost. Simply put, the cost to purchase and operate a gas guzzler in Canada (or the U.S.) is far less than the rest of the world.

This cost difference comes in two forms: upfront charges for vehicle registration and gas prices.

In Europe, vehicle registrations are often based on the vehicle’s fuel economy or emissions profile. In France, for example, car buyers face a sliding “bonus-malus” scale (or “feebate”). High-emitting vehicles incur a registration charge up to €10,000 while zero-emission vehicles receive €6,000 in rebates. And in Norway, where new vehicles are subject to a 25 per cent value-added tax and up to €10,000 in registration fees, electric vehicles are exempt from both charges.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5259474/c...-economy-cars/

Because you and I both know the carbon taxes probably won't be high enough in two decades to solve this.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Oct 26, 2019 at 11:53 AM.