View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
historical preservation is about so much more than just saving what you or me or joe six pack thinks is "pretty". the fact that you don't even know that doesn't encourage me to place much stock in your opinion. yes, you are entitled to your opinion, as is every individual, but not all opinions are created equal. i'll place for more faith in the profoundly more informed opinions of scores and scores of architects and historical preservationists who study these works of art for a living, than i will in the opinion of some random dude who points at building and says "hey, that thing is fugly, let's blow that shit up".
For similar reasons see my above post why I don't hold the esteem of "historicists" and "artists" in very high regard.

Yeah, I think that thing looks fugly alright. And can't wait for that shit to get blown up!!

And fortunately, those who share my opinion tend to be the decision makers regarding blowing that shit up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i'll place for more faith in the profoundly more informed opinions of scores and scores of architects and historical preservationists who study these works of art for a living
"profoundly more informed" is entirely subjective. Sure, objectively, they may study these works of art (abomination to me) for a living--that doesn't equate to "profoundly more informed" than me or "joe sixpack" to me.