View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 9:13 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I suggest the best design would be to put pedestrians first by having the store frontage right up to the sidewalk, as suggested. Then have parking to the rear or underground, as suggested, to accommodate motorists, motorcyclists/scooters, and bicyclists. The reason I would put bicycle racks at the rear entrance is to avoid conflict with pedestrians. I have had a few close calls with bicyclists who ride their bikes on pedestrian access areas for their own convenience with little regard for pedestrians - I see it happening regularly.
Or perhaps just have the bike rack a few meters away from the entrance with ample space? A cyclist is far more in the realm of a pedestrian than a motorist, and putting bikes in the area with cars would only increase conflict between cars and bikes which is far more dangerous.