View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 12:45 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
im not sure but I think thats a protected area for the garment district.
The historic areas arent that big and they also arent right next to the ESB. The largest historic district on Manhattan is Greenwich Village and that covers a very large area. The closest historic district to the ESB is Madison Park Historic District and its about 10 blocks in area. There isnt an historic district behind the ESB in between the other highrises although. The reason the highrises are located where they are, at least historically speaking, is due where the bedrock is located. Near the tip of Manhattan the bedrock is closer to the surface, and then where the other massing of skyscrapers are in midtown is where the bedrock is closest to the surface. But now due to new technology taller scrapers can go just about anywhere in Manhattan. Thats why there arent that many highrises around the ESB because it costs more to drill deeper to the bedrock in order to secure the foundation.

On another note, I very much dislike this building, at least where it is located. NYC has such an awesome skyline because the king is sitting perfectly in the middle ruling over all. I say this and in 30 years this building will fit in perfectly with the skyline after people get used to it.