View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Amazing sand. Water that you can walk, in some cases, 100s of metres into before it gets "deep". Miles-long beaches that aren't packed end-to-end with huge crowds (although Grand can get like this at times). Virtually zero industrial presence on the lakes, so the water is some of the cleanest on the continent (at least in comparison to other large lakes, most of which have heavy industrial activity on their shores and large cities dumping semi-treated effluent into them).
Good point regarding the ability to walk out long distances. It freaks me out a bit when I go to an ocean beach and the water gets very deep barely 10 metres off shore, which combined with the undertow really keeps me on my toes. Many Lake Winnipeg and Lake Manitoba beaches allow you to walk out quite a distance by comparison.

And to Chadillaccc, I grew up cottaging at Winnipeg Beach. Unfortunately rising lake levels have really eaten away at the beach there. What used to be a huge, wide sand strip has become a very narrow one where you barely have room to spread out a towel... many of the sandy parts of the beach are also where there are many rocks in the water. It's still worth checking out but I'd encourage you to check out the beaches in Gimli too, which is about 15 km north. I think they're a bit better... there's certainly a lot more room to spread out.

Another unique Manitoba beach experience are the wooden piers of Lake Winnipeg... these piers are built from locally-found wood every year, and they take swimmers over rocky parts of the shoreline and into to the water. The piers usually have a couple of benches and enough room to spread out and catch a bit of sun. It feels a bit like being on a boat. There are many of these in the Gimli-Winnipeg Beach area.