View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 1:47 AM
Hamilton Historian

Update!

That brick/arch/pillars/concrete combo looks like a hot mess - I am not sure how they are going to even that out..

Brick wise this place is a mess - they weren't even consistent with the yellow brick columning going up the building - it's really bizarre.. from what I can glean the yellow is actually a finish on the brick that has faded over time.. and some places have like 3 or 4 different materials added for this weird hackneyed look..

correct me if I am wrong but is this not where homegrown was moving to? Also it's nice to see the covering ripped off the building to the left of it..

They've actually done a beautiful job of repairing the columns - they were all oxidized and green and the tops were all rusted before..

you can see the last update on google maps HERE

I wonder if they will restore the original cornice that separated the first level from the second and third level. The columns would have looked like the ones on the treble hall originally - sadly almost nothing remains of the corinthian elements on top of them but some small fragments left over... the columns are hollow and only are decorative. The cornice would have most likely been similar to the treble hall as well.

I hope they restore the yellow stain on the building elements on the front too - it has faded with time.. and maybe one day the original ornate pediments will be replaced again where they put placeholder coverings above the windows..