View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 5:15 PM

Hey GW,

this past week i watched on TCM the 1947 Red Skelton movie Merton of the Movies. The plot centers around an aspiring movie actor named Merton who is a terrible actor, when the movie executives see how funny that Merton's over-acting is, they cast him in a comedy, but tell him that he's acting in a drama.

the movie also stars Virginia O'Brien in probably her only starring vehicle in which she doesn't sing with her trademark stone faced expression.

there is a scene when Merton 1st arrives in Los Angeles, and he is at the house of a big star. I am pretty sure that the house, and the on location shooting that took place on the street is Berkeley Square.

unfortunately i did not record it, nor can i find any images of that particular scene.

maybe you've already seen it and can comment whether or not it was indeed filmed in berkeley square.

anyway, it's scheduled to show again on September 13th at 6:am. (this time i'll record it, and see if i can snag a screen cap of the street to post here)

the movie is fun skelton fluff, and virgina o'brien is terrific in it. and as an added bonus, great noir femme fatale, Gloria Grahame, plays the silent movie star who virgina o'brien stunt doubles for in the movie.