View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch&Design View Post
i heard that those thousands of skylight tube fixtures that move up and down would only cost 5% of the entire construction cost, and considering it is such an essential element to this project, i think removing it would be a shame. The skylight windows that were originally on top of the roof are for sure gone now, but I think that their removal won’t make such a big impact to the overall architecture and style.
My personal opinion is that it is a shame that they have entirely removed the skylight as many newly built or proposed terminals have windows on the roof that provides natural lighting. Also, I am not a fan of wave shaped triangular trusses on the roof as it looks to me like a naked structure and provides a mundane aesthetic like a football stadium. In terms of the aluminium tubes, I hope they moved in the "up and down" motion as no other airports have ever placed the large installation of kinetic structure at the same scale as the new Taoyuan terminal three. Singapore's Changi Terminal 1 have the "Kinetic Rain"sculpture installed onto a ceiling.

Anyway, I will provide a mood board of some airports skylight design:

Ravenscroft.T.2019. Zaha Hadid Architects' giant starfish-shaped airport opens in Beijing. [Online]. [Accessed in 23rd July 2020]. Available from: https://www.dezeen.com/2019/09/26/za...ional-airport/

This is the newly built Beijing Daxing International Airport located in Hebei province. The construction cost of the 700,000 square metre terminal is CNY120bn ($17bn approximately), while the projects in its periphery attracted investments of CNY330bn ($46.2bn approximately). The construction started in December 26, 2014 and finished in June 30, 2019.

"Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport, Terminal 3" by the Italian Architects, Massimiliano and Doriana Fuksas. The terminal is 500,000 square metre. Cost €734,000,000 to construct. “The concept of the plan for Terminal 3 of Shenzen Bao’an international airport evokes the image of a manta ray, a fish that breathes and changes its own shape, undergoes variations, turns into a bird to celebrate the emotion and fantasy of a flight.” The terminal’s internal and external double “skin” honeycomb motif that enfolds up the structure, allows natural lights to go through. Open in November 28th, 2013. Shenzhen are going to undertake the expansion plan on its airport that cost US$1.39 billion and the third runway, this will be completed in 2030, which will handle 80 million passengers annually.

Foster + Partner.c2020. New International Airport Mexico City. [Online]. [Accessed in 23rd July 2020]. Available from: https://www.fosterandpartners.com/me...920&quality=85 & https://www.fosterandpartners.com/me...920&quality=85

“New International Airport Mexico City” by Foster + Partners and in collaboration with FR-EE and NACO. The terminal is 743,000m², cost $13 billion to contract and it will be located in Texcoco. I believe the construction have been scrapped by the new Mexican president Andrés Manuel López Obrador due to the cost and the environmental impact.

They have decided to build a new Mexico's Santa Lucía airport, which cost about $3.9 billion dollars. The Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources (Mexico) have approved the construction of a terminal at the new airport site on July 17, 2019. Furthermore, the construction officially started on October 17, 2019.

Istanbul Airport by “Grimshaw”, Nordic Office of Architecture and Haptic Architects. It is 1,000,000 square metre and completed in 2018 and served up to 90 million passengers annually. “The design draws on the architectural character of Istanbul – a city rich with colour, pattern and history since its Byzantine origins – and includes vaulted ceilings pierced with skylights that draw in diffuse daylight and create an open, lofty volume with clear lines of sight. Focused beams of sunlight illuminate key areas in the terminal, such as check-in, security, customs and retail areas.” The four phases are to be completed by 2025, with a total cost of about $12 billion.

The Incheon terminal 2, designed by Gensler and in collaboration with Heerim Architect. The design of the terminal is inspired by a mythical ‘phoenix,’ which symbolises “authority, longevity, strength and balance.” Hugh Dutton Associés “contributed a delicate skeleton of skylight structures whose flowing geometry, an expression of the wings of the mythical bird, visually guides the passenger flows. The funicular gridshell structures, carefully optimised by weight and volume, are visible through the light-filtering ceiling canopy.” Currently, the terminal has a gross floor area of 384,335m2 and will increased to 663,000m² in the 4th expansion phase to be completed by 2025. The total cost of the 4th phase is $4.15 billion.

As mentioned above Spain Barajas Terminal 4 is designed Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners and Antonio Lamela. This Terminal includes “a wave-shaped roof, supported on central ‘trees’ and punctuated by rooflights that provide carefully controlled natural light throughout the upper (departures) level of the terminal.”

In conclusion, Skylight is essential for modern, newly built airports or terminals around the world. My brief findings have outlined that some airport’s skylight uses symbolism for example, the Istanbul Airport is inspired from Byzantine origins and Incheon terminal 2, which has a geometric shape, from the wing of the phoenix. The most import aspect of skylight is that they penetrate natural light through the ceiling and onto the departure floor of the terminal; this gives a clear sight of the atmosphere, the surrounding and the spaces. As well as, reducing the dependency on artificial lights. I hope that Taoyuan International Airport Corporation follow this trend to become one of the world's best aviation hub.

I have created a survey so please could you guys complete this as it only has one question. Thank you
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SJDVF5K

Last edited by BenH10; Sep 15, 2020 at 8:12 PM.