View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 12:44 AM
菠蘿油

Nothing too exciting, but last February I had to drive from Montreal to Pennsylvania for work, and on the return trip I spent a night and most of the day in Syracuse. It's a pretty easy four-hour drive back to Montreal from there, but by the time I left it was starting to snow, and as I approached the border, it was becoming quite heavy and the road was slippery. I thought it would get better when I finally made it to the 401, but as I approached Gananoque, the temperature plummeted and the snowfall was replaced by crazy winds and big drifts of powdery snow blowing off the adjacent fields. All of this, plus the usual heavy semi-trailer traffic along the highway and maniacs thinking it's okay to drive 120km/h in white-out conditions. On a few occasions traffic came to a complete standstill for 15-20 minutes at a time, which is when I learned that if you're the last vehicle in a jam on a dark winter night, you need to put your hazard lights on so you don't get rear ended. Everything turned out fine, but that easy four-hour trip ended up being a very stressful nine hours.

Otherwise I haven't had too many bad experiences, mainly because I avoid winter road trips, and driving in Montreal in the winter is actually pretty easy because we spend $200 million a year on snow removal