View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 6:03 PM

My worry on this site is the developer. The developer came forward with Twisted Sisters, as a 'landmark' proposal. He went through the riger of the approvals process and if I'm not mistaken even an appeal but won. Great...but what do we have now? Nothing...

So now just as his existing approval still stands (but requires an extension to the commencement date since it's passed) - he comes forward with this proposal. It's hard to take the developer seriously. It makes me nervous that he's pulling a typical ploy that happens out here in Alberta.

Developer A walks in with a great idea - revolutionary, that will change a community. Fights through all the NIMBY and gets the approval - instantly, the land value goes up because this proposal he's put forward is supposed to be so great. But then, he puts the land and approval up for sale, makes a huge profit and disappears. Leaving Developer B having spent all his $ to make Developer A's project move forward. So then Developer B might build it, or might come up with his own 'even more dreamy idea', get the approval, land value goes up, Developer B sells the land and the process starts all over again...

I get the sneaking fear that this maybe nothing but a mechanism to make the land more valuable to sell at a huge profit. I find it unlikely that this will get built. That's just been my experience. I remember working in Fort Mac and the guy's came in proposing Bond Towers - these huge towers to go in the middle of the downtown. They talked a big talk, yet to this date - NOTHING. They applied for an extension to their permit approval, which was granted and then when it lapsed, they applied for another one but nothing has happened...this is why I view this proposal with a level of doubt.