View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 4:30 AM

hi all,

i used to live in this building as a student in the early '90s, and found this thread while randomly googling the address. i always remembered this apartment very fondly, and i was kind of gutted to see the picture of the flattened building. what a shame. amazing that it resisted developers all this time. i would have expected a company to renovate the flats into high-priced condo "lofts" as they tend to do here in montreal, which, while it is damaging to the rental market, seems a less tragic fate than flattening a heritage building and putting up a generic, cheaply made box.

my roommates and i lived on the third floor, which was the top -- the landlord at the time told us that at some point the building had a fourth floor which blew off in a storm? there was in fact a stairway leading up to nowhere in the kitchen. there was an antique stove and radiators and beautiful old decorative elements in the apartment and the public spaces. probably one of the nicest apartments i've ever lived in, in many ways.

i have lots of photos, which i'll have to dig up now, and i'll post any that might be of interest to the community here.