Thread: GO Transit
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 3:52 PM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
a connected South-Central Ontario is needed.
GO needs to stop centralizing itself on Toronto. People in this region travel all over from every city to work... not just to "the big city".

Not to mention all the students that travel back & forth from Toronto, Hamilton, Guelph, St Catharines, KW, London, Windsor, etc.

There's tons of potential to connect South-Central Ontario with GO. The GGHA (Greater Golden Horsehoe Area) is so unique and needs a unique commuter rail line to connect us all TOGETHER rather than just connecting us to Toronto. With this connection, the GGHA will prosper like non of us can imagine!
This is what I've been saying all along. Now of course, since downtown Toronto is the largest and most important nodal point in the region, it will obviously continue to be the best serviced. But that isn't to say that the trains couldn't run a limited service to other downtowns along the train lines as well. For a downtown like Kitchener's, you wouldn't need frequent or extensive service. But you could run rush hour trains into it from Guelph and New Hamburg each morning quite viably I think (don't forget the LRT connection). And as you mentioned, DC83, students are a huge market and the universities are all over the place. I would also extend that beyond universities to festivals and special events as well. So when Toronto is having Caribana or a hockey game going on, run the trains, even if they're not going in for the 9-5 work commute. Same with Oktoberfest! And for the places not covered by rail, we can connect them by GO bus.