View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I have found very few pictures of Hollis Street or Sackville Street.
The Halifax Municipal Archives have some and still appear to be adding more every now and then. Sometimes you have to poke around a little to find them, though.

Halifax Municipal Archives

Quote:
I've never found a good photo of the row of 5 storey brick buildings on Sackville Street below Hollis.

Quote:
A bunch of the waterfront buildings in this picture look unremarkable but I wonder about the lighter one just east of the Ralston.

Quote:
There were also a couple of random industrial buildings on the waterfront that were very old but used for up until the 1970's when they were torn down. Irving had an ironstone warehouse structure from circa 1800 that got torn down. The Historic Properties warehouses are only maybe 1/3 of the buildings of that age and type that survived until 1950. I am not sure when the Cunard building bit the dust; that one would have been worth saving too.
The Irving warehouse had a fire in 1956:

Interestingly, you can see the Ralston Building being constructed in the background.

Post fire (dated 1957 on archives):

And was subsequently torn down (dated Oct 21, 1957 on archives site):

Edit: This looks like the same building a few years before (by the cars, I would guess 1953-54?) but with a sloped roof. From the photo it also looks like the aftermath of a fire by the holes in the roof and attached building:

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Jan 3, 2019 at 5:57 PM. Reason: Found additional photo