View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Wow, this is really pretty cool. The density and contemporary design remind me of something you'd see in Philly. I love the New York-esque planning with multi-family buildings on John R and Brush, and smaller homes on the side streets. Plus the mid-block pedestrian walk is pretty nice, and the woonerf design for the alleys.

From a real estate perspective - not sure this development will work. If I'm in the market for a home, why would I pay a new-construction premium to get a townhouse or mews house with literally no yard when I could buy an actual detached house with a decent sized backyard for the same price, and maybe even the opportunity to buy vacant lots next door?

Of course, urban Detroit is a strange and uncharted real estate market. Maybe the market doesn't place a premium on breathing room in a city with so much open space, and yawning wide open streets. Maybe the contemporary design and location will lure wealthier buyers that would have bought in the suburbs otherwise. University/hospital employees, downtown workers, hell, even younger buyers with suburban jobs that don't want to live on a cul-de-sac.

So far, that formula has worked for rental developments in Detroit where people expect to live for a certain phase of life. But a for-sale development, which I assume the townhouses will be, requires a whole different strategy. You have to sell buyers on the long-term value, and those buyers have to somehow get financing for the purchase from banks that are probably reluctant to lend in a highly distressed area such as this.

I'm not saying these will doom the project, but I would love to see how the development team is planning to work around these challenges...
I think you're slightly underestimating the current strength of Detroit's market. If you were talking about a neighborhood outside of downtown, then you'd be on the mark, however...

Midtown: 'No sign of oversupply' as 3,600 new apartments and condos planned in Detroit

Quote:
The opportunity exists. It's availability that's constrained. Many of those vacant parcels, like a few owned by Midtown Detroit, are already earmarked for projects – or they belong to public bodies or nonprofits, including Wayne State University, which may be holding them vacant or just using them for parking.
Quote:
And the average listing price for houses and condos was $283,813 that year [2015], or about $210 per square foot.

Data from Realcomp shows that number heading higher in 2016. In September, the median sales price was $349,000. At the same time, the number of listed properties fell further, to 26 in September. A year earlier, 38 were available. In September 2006, during Midtown's first housing wave in this millennium, 96 for-sale properties were on the market.
Quote:
The housing growth will keep enhancing the neighborhood, but experts point to some issues with it. One is the lack of condos or single-family homes available.

"It seems like most developers are going for rentals right now," said [Austin] Black. "... The demand is there for for-sale product."
$350K is actually a little bit higher than some of Detroit's trophy suburbs like the Grosse Pointes or Royal Oak. If anything the bigger challenge has been getting developments through city hall.