View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 9:51 PM

This is best measured using what I call the Haloween test. The true feel for how many kids are in any particular neighbourhood is on the night of October 31. The past few years I have had at least five times more children at my door in the Wentworth/Stinson area than the places my family members have in the suburban parts of town.

As an aside, I had experienced an unusual moment a few months back that made me feel great about my neighbourhood, often the subject of scorn from those living up on the escarpment. I was walking home from the grocery store and, it being a lovely autumn day, a lot of people were out and about saying 'hello' as they passed each other on the street. I passed one place where my neighbours had friends that had stopped by for a visit. The kids were playing on their front yard while the adults were sitting and talking on the front porch. I waved 'hello' to them, as did a couple on the opposite side of the street heading in the opposite direction. As I passed by the kids, I overheard one say to the other "Wow, people sure are friendly down off the mountain". From the mouths of babes...