View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 6:31 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiesquared View Post
What kind of population increase would result of a hypothetical annexation of arden-arcade? And or north / south sac (What areas does that even mean?)
There are now approximately 650,000 (+/-) people living in the unicorproated parts of the county known as "The Un-City"" of Sacramento

Sacramento County total population 1,374,724 (2006)

City of Sacramento 458,00
City of Elk Grove 120,000 (+)
City of Citrus Heights 85,400 (+)
City of Folsom 51,300 (+)
City of Galt 19,550 (+)
City of Isleton 840 (+)
Rancho Cordova 55,000 (+)

2000 census information for the unincorporated parts of the county...
  • Antelope 36,421
  • Arden-Arcade 96,025
  • Carmichael 49,742
  • Fair Oaks 28,008
  • Florin 27,653
  • Foothill Farms 17,426
  • Gold River 8,023
  • Herald unavailable
  • La Riviera 10,273
  • Laguna West-Lakeside 8,414 (Elk Grove Sphere of Influence)
  • Locke unavailable
  • North Highlands 44,187
  • Orangevale 26,705
  • Parkway-South Sacramento 36,468
  • Rancho Murieta 4,193
  • Rio Linda 10,466
  • Rosemont 22,904
  • Vineyard 10,109 (Elk Grove eyeing for future annexation)
  • Walnut Grove 669
  • Wilton 4,551

Arden Arcade had approximately 96,205 residents in 2000, so i would assume they are nearly around the same (maybe right at 100,000?),

South Sacramento (Parkway and Florin combined): 64,121

So that's approximmately 164,121 (+) residents in Arden Arcade and South Sacramento, not inlcuding Rosemont or any other locales within the county, that could become city residents. By annexing Arden-Arcade and South Sacramento, the City of Sacramento would instantly become the fourth largest municipailty in the state with an adjusted population of 621,121 (and assuming no other unincorporated neighborhoods are included)

I did place in bold letters, those unicorporated parts of the county that could be looked at by the city for annexation due to their proximity to the city or because they have already been part of the pseudo city for a long time (like North Highlands, La Riveria and Foothill Farms)..

Another alternative to more balkanization would be for Sacramento County to incorporate itself into a Metro City (Think Metro Dade).. That would allow it to collect Vehicle Licensing Fees that cities traditonally collect (i think that's still the case in California). Although we would effectively have two cities of Sacramento. Though this senario is highly unlikely since it would make more sense for the existing municipalities to annex the remaining urbanized areas of the County.

I think that unless Sacramento is going to be carved up into more competitive jurisdictions, Sacramento City is going to have to start annexing. I think they've watched Elk Grove and Folsom stake their claims in LAFCO for long enough and now the city has finally decided to study the idea.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Apr 24, 2007 at 4:58 AM. Reason: typo