View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
My take on India and China is this. I agree that both countries are growing economicaly. China is doing much better than it was 10 years ago. India is still far behind with a 27% unemployment rate. I'm not sure how long it will take before it's on par with the United States. The thing that is tough to swallow, is that our manufacturing base has taken several big blows over the years. It's hard to buy anything at a store anymore that's NOT made in China, or southeast Asia. It's certainly not their fault. I blame the American companies for doing that. And NAFTA of course. We need our manufacturing base. I think it would go much further than the service industry. Especially if those reports are accurate that the US will be at 438 Million by 2050.
Actually, the US has lost less manufacturing jobs, as a proportion, than many other western countries, including the UK, France, and Germany. Since 1990, I believe.

Also, manufacturing output has risen year after year, meaning that many of the manufacturing jobs are being replaced by machines/technology, and not China.