View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Slim View Post
Martin Pal wrote:

"Just wondering about your visceral memories of this. Were the cars noisy? Did
they have bells or whistles to signify anything? Were there any particular odors associated with the cars? How were fares paid? Were they usually clean? Were stops called out? Stuff like that."

I do not recall them as unduly noisy, noise of the wheels, traffic noise and car horns, there was a bell when starting, and I don't recall stops being called out. They were not smelly or dirty - but more like most public transit, they were not spotless like a Swiss train. Fares were paid at the front to the motorman, and he made change. On the LA Ry or MTA during crowded commute hours people would board by the middle door - a conductor on the street would take the money and make change and hand out transfers and let folks on - he wore a belt with a change holder.

I remember the older cars with a seat and controls for the motorman at both ends. These had wicker seats. None of the cars were air conditioned - it could be hot in the cars. I remember people leaving newspapers on the seats that others would read.

I most often took the 7 Car Downtown from Slauson and Broadway - many times with my mother shopping at May Co. or The Broadway, etc. A treat was lunch at the Pig n' Whistle or Clifton's, or an Orange Julius with an egg. She always wore a smart suit or dress, gloves and a hat with a veil - one dressed up to go shopping. She never carried packages, she had things delivered. We never ate or drank in the cars - my mom said it was bad manners. We would go to Hollywood and Wilshire too, but I don't have much memory of that.
Great memories Slim.
Vintage change maker. You rarely see these today in 2015.

Reffile

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 8, 2015 at 6:55 PM.