View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
It's interesting to watch someone answer their own question, and then doubt the answer.

You doubt the stadium's draw, which as you say "help existing businesses," would encourage further developments in--as you mentioned--bars, restaurants, hotels, etc...

The very point of placing a stadium downtown is akin to putting any attraction downtown: to increase value and eventually density. One of my hopes is for Halifax to get over its office tower stubbornness and follow through with meeting the residential demand. A stadium would encourage this investment.

I never said that a stadium would encourage further developments in bars, restaurants..... I said just the opposite. A new stadium downtown would bring additional once-every-two-weeks-or-so business to existing businesses, but would not lead to the development of new businesses based solely on the development of the stadium. We have had this discussion multiple times on the stadium thread and it has been shown that new football stadiums do not spur the growth of new businesses since they only play 9-10 times per year. Baseball stadiums (at the MLB level) and arenas do have an impact on business growth since they hold events 80+ times a year. Again, I am fine with a stadium downtown (although outside of a new dinky stadium at SMU, I don't think that will happen) just don't expect a new stadium to spur a boom in new business development. By the way, how would a new stadium encourage investment in residential development?