View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 6:20 PM
World Traveler

Some information & news about residential and commercial growth in Post Falls, Cd'A's fast-growing neighbor to the west...

Stats:
Post Falls is one of the fastest growing cities in Idaho. It had a population of 17,247 in 2000 and 23,162 in 2005. The city now has over 24,000 people and is estimated to reach 30,000 by 2013, and 65,000 by 2028 (98,000 by 2028 with projected expansion beyond existing city boundaries). The city's population is growing at a rate of 3.5% per year.

PF issued 947 building permits last year. The job market in the city has grown by 44% since 2000 and the city's business community has grown 35% in that same span.

Here's a Spokesman-Review article from last week detailing the commercial growth in Post Falls. What struck me as amazing was the fact that there was $34 million in commercial construction in PF last year (a large amount of $), but in the first four months of this year, there already has been $31 million in commercial construction:

Commercial growth leads PF boom
Cabela's tops lengthy list of development projects

Hope Brumbach
Staff writer
May 24, 2007

POST FALLS – State Highway 41 used to be just a route to get from home to work.

But these days, you can get a tan, a workout, a latte, a pizza and a new cell phone plan along the way.

The intersection of Mullan Avenue and Highway 41, north of Interstate 90, has become a hot spot of commercial development – and another sign that business in Post Falls is booming, city officials say.

"It's blossomed," Post Falls Mayor Clay Larkin said of the area, which has attracted a Wal-Mart center and a host of office and retail space in the last few years.

"What we're seeing now is that commercial (development) is coming at a much faster pace than even five years ago. It's just getting busier and busier. And we're very grateful for that," he said.

City officials say they're thrilled with the growth in Post Falls, with more than $34 million in commercial construction proposed last year and more than $31 million in the first four months of this year.

Since the beginning of 2006, developers have proposed or constructed 42 commercial buildings, 83 commercial additions or alterations, one industrial building and three industrial alterations or additions, according to city records.

"We had a significant increase in the last year. Commercially, we've done really well," said Collin Coles, senior planner for the city of Post Falls.

In the fall, Cabela's is scheduled to open a sporting-goods store with more than 125,000 square feet, anchoring The Pointe at Post Falls, a mega-retail center near the Stateline exit of I-90. City officials laud the development as possibly the largest commercial windfall in city history.

"The potential there in the next three years, you won't even recognize it," said Pam Houser, president and chief executive officer of the Post Falls Chamber of Commerce.

"I haven't seen this kind of growth happen this quickly since I've been here. And I've been here 35 years," said Houser, adding that the chamber has grown to 470 members from about 300 only two years ago. "I think it's exciting, as a citizen, as a longtime resident."

Commercial growth, Coles said, typically follows surges in residential development, which Post Falls certainly has experienced. Last year, the city approved plans for 900 new homes, condominiums and apartments.

Post Falls' population boom is expected to continue at a growth rate of 3.5 percent or more per year. City officials predict Post Falls will expand to 30,000residents in the next six years.

"We certainly have been discovered," Larkin said.

...the article goes on to list some of the projects under construction and their cost.
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302