Thread: Old Halifax
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 3:14 AM
Dartmouth Girl

So- my grandfather has sold his home and has moved to one of the assisted living complexes in the city. One of the last things we found cleaning out the house was a box full of hundreds of old photos (my Grampy was a very avid camera enthusiast) I don't know how many more I'll find as this seems to be a bit of a "rejects" box (bad exposure, blurry developing errors etc) and a bunch seem to be family photos.. but I have found a few of around the city I've scanned, restored/touched up and would like to share with you guys! If you could help me maybe try and figure out what years these were taken.. it would be greatly appreciated!

(Click on the pictures if you'd like to see a larger image)
A couple from Dartmouth, first:

(looking down the large hill on Cole Harbour Road/Lawrencetown Road towards the beaches; exact year unknown)

(Looking Northbound on John Cross Drive towards the back of Prince Andrew/Akerley; exact year unknown)

Now this is a quick panorama I whipped up using the following three photos after it. They were scanned at 1200dpi from an 8x10 contact sheet of 35mm proofs (the only one developed to a full picture was the last one above), so they aren't the highest of quality, but I think they turned out alright! (and they stitched together amazingly) I can't determine the exact year, but I think sometime around 1971.

I've got a couple taken from on the MacDonald Bridge (not sure an exact year on these, either):

This one I found rather interesting with what's visible in the background, modelling credit to my Grandmother, and Uncle..

All photo credit goes to my Grandfather John Helliwell scans & retouching, and panorama done by me

Last edited by Aya_Akai; Feb 4, 2014 at 3:32 AM. Reason: credits!