View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
I don't know about 're-gentrify', but I do know that the demographics of downtown are a cause for worry. We have a friend in Admiralty Place who describes the property as deathly quiet and full of retirees, many of whom spend 3-4 months in the sunny south. As I posted previously the 30+ group are buying single detached properties and thus the area is going through a generational change.
I have zero concern for the demographics of downtown Dartmouth. The area is becoming known as a the place to get a decent, centrally located house at a price point lower than in Halifax. Every business I can think of that's opened in the past few years caters to a younger demographic. Drop into Two If By Sea on a Saturday morning, or the Alderney Market, and they're crammed with young people and children. I guarantee that the area will become more youthful in the next decade, not less.

I don't know about Admiralty Place--maybe it's a retiree magnet. But as you say, the 30+ crowd (including young parents) are moving into houses, largely. Maybe the condos are for the downsizing baby boomers. I'm in my early 30s, and I rent, but I know if I were looking for a condo, I would definitely stick to the peninsula. However, if I were in the market for a house (expecting kids, etc) I'd expand to Dartmouth, for the price advantage if nothing else.

I'm concerned about the demographics of the province overall, but as far as central neighbourhoods like downtown Dartmouth are concerned, all signs point to youth.