View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:38 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

This is indeed very sad. The RCI towers have always fascinated me and, since I have lived in Moncton, I have always considered them a familiar and welcoming landmark on the way home from trips to NS. I will truly miss those red navigation lights on the top of those towers after dark......

This may not be the end of the cuts as far as CBC in concerned for the Maritimes. I know that they have cancelled plans to build a new CBC Radio building in Halifax and that they are moving their (national) TV production facilitiies out of Halifax (think This Hour has 22 Minutes). There may be more to follow.

I am concerned about CBC Radio in New Brunswick. It is a bit of a luxury to have three local (anglophone) CBC radio stations in the province. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that they may relocate all their anglophone production facilities to Fredericton. The next month or two will tell the tale.

CBC Radio provides a very important news alternative to the Irving press monopoly in Moncton. News 91.9 doesn't have the resources to be an effective alternative. If CBA in Moncton were to go off air (become a CBZ rebroadcaster only), it would be a huge loss to local programming. Effectively, all our broadcast news would be coming from Halifax (CTV and Global) or Fredericton (CBC). There would be no local focus and only 1-2 token Moncton news items per news broadcast. I think a regional city of 140,000 deserves better!
Thankfully, 22 Minutes and other TV programs will still be produced in Halifax, but the facilities will have to be rented.