View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I reposted those photos from Moncton mostly to show the tower cranes in the downtown, not to accentuate the "beauty" of the city.

Moncton is not like other Maritime cities. Although European settlement in the city can be traced back to 1733, the city didn't take off until the late 1840s, and didn't really start to grow rapidly until the 1880s (railway boom). As such, Moncton is newer than other Maritime cities, and somewhat less institutional and more commercial and industrial in it's appearance. In many ways, it has more in common with mid sized western Canadian cities than it's Maritime cousins.

Moncton is an acquired taste. I've lived here now for 32 years, and am quite happy here. I've always said Moncton has a lot of potential, and I'm still saying it. Moncton is now the largest and the most rapidly growing city in NB. We should be over 175,000 people in five years time, and I hope to see 200,000 before I drop off this mortal coil. The downtown is finally seeing substantial growth. Moncton is a work in progress - stay tuned.

PS - you are certainly free to express your opinion, and as long as you are not mean, I take no offence. Some people can be quite vicious in their criticism. I have never thought that about you.
Interesting!

Oh, you know, I'm only asking to be convinced that it isn't what I think it is! I went thru Moncton by car, but never stopped for a walk actually.

My point of view about cities & places are always evolving. Take Trois-Rivières per example. For most of my life, I drived on A40 between Quebec city and Montreal and Trois-Rivières was my "pipi stop" but I never got interested about this place until recently. And now, I'm suprising myself waking around their downtown and I'm quite enjoying this! It isnt Montreal or Quebec city, but it is an interesting stop with lots of potential!

I'll promise myself to have a good and legit walk in downtown Moncton. For the moment, I've only did in St John in NB!