View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
I'd like to see a few changes in the game but not make it exactly like the NFL. Rules like:
-4 downs
-Add in fair catches on punts/kickoffs
-Shrink endzones from 20 yards to 15 but keep goal posts on the goal line like normal.
-Remove the rouge point.

-Keep remaining standard field dimensions.
-Keep 12th player/extra receiver.
-Keep standard play clock.
-Keep 1-foot in bounds catches.

I'm sure there are other rules from the Canadian game worth keeping but I'd prefer a hybrid of the better Canadian rules but mix in a few of the better American ones.
I have to really disagree that those rules are better, you'll have to explain what you think the actual improvements would be.

4 downs - why? The game is exciting with three. If you made it 15 yard for a first down with 4 downs maybe, but 10 yards with 4 is too easy.

The fair catch makes kickoffs boring. Returns can be some of the most exciting plays of the game. I'd allow a fair catch only if it meant that playr got a free kick from hand like in rugby. Otherwise it just takes away a facet of the game.

Why a smaller end zone? I like it big, there is lots of room for exciting plays to develop. I'd be okay with setting a minimum and maximum an letting teams mark it out as it suits them, but taking away space just because it's more like the NFL seems counterproductive to encouraging an exciting passing game.

The rouge - Not getting rid of it, but I'd be okay with only giving it if the ball is actually returnable i.e. has to land in the end zone. The goal line is the goal line, if the other team gets the ball past it they deserve points.