View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 5:29 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Billy Joel will perform in Winston-Salem this weekend, so we should find one of his songs for today's update. It's one of only two tour dates in the southeast. I'm not sure if you can still find tickets or not?

Open the windows and turn-up the volume:
Video Link

Are you ready for hotel updates? We have several hotel projects in today's update. We also have a few projects we rarely see updates on!

First Baptist Church Restoration:

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Hotel Indigo:

Bricks have arrived to clad the stair tower and back-of-house structure:

Credit: joebylr

I think this could be a look at the inside, but I'm not sure... it could be from another project:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

The floor matches samples the developer shared in a previous photograph posted in this thread and Sunnyside used a downtown hashtag for this project. Again, that vanity could be from someone's downtown condo or it could be a look at the hotel rooms? Though I'm not sure, I'll share it anyway.

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Credit: deavachestnut

Credit: __jonreed__

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:

Credit: taylorhayesart

Hyatt Place Hotel:

Credit: vincerabil

Merschel Plaza Park:

Excavation for underground parking:

Credit: vincerabil

500 West Fifth:

Credit: camelcitymassage

Chronicle Building Adaptive-reuse:
The Pope Companies purchased the former Chronicle Building for their next adaptive-reuse project. This is the same development team behind the restoration of the Crafted: The Art of the Taco building, on the same street.

The Chronicle Building is known for this mural:

Credit: jtc3k

Efird Block Restoration:

Still waiting for the Ohio-based developer to start work on this restoration project:

Credit: maddy_carlson210

Bailey South:
The developer applied for permits to restore this building for retail/entertainment tenants and construct a new six-storey addition for creative and tech company office space. This is very close to starting construction! It's located inside downtown's IQ District.

Historic 1926 power plant building to be restored for retail/entertainment:

Credit: yestowinstonsalem

The 1926 power plant building at night:

Credit: shmisarah

Credit: a_s_mitchell

West End Station Apartments:
It's rare to find any photographs of this project. If you walk past this site, please photograph it for us. I don't remember the last time we had an update on this project and it's a very large apartment building.

Credit: patrickraymakes

New balcony railings installed:

Credit: westendstationapts

A look at how large this apartment development appears on the skyline:

Credit: lovely_wandy

Science & Office Building:
This project topped-out on October 2. It's so exciting to see an update on it! it's right at the John Gold Expressway, as you enter downtown!

Credit: WSSU Photography

Robert Hall Brewing Company:
Workers have restored the vintage neon sign for this new downtown brewery. They are currently seeking permission from the City of Winston-Salem to reuse this restored sign on the exterior of the brewery. This was the roughly 75 year-old sign for clothing store Robert Hall, on Fifth Street. It was a national chain and yes, this is the roughly 75 year-old original sign from Fifth Street. Look for craft beer, a rooftop bar, and great food in this new brewery, currently under construction.

Restoring a vintage sign from downtown Winston-Salem's past for this new neon-themed brewery:

Credit: Industry Hill

"Big band era" commercials for the former clothing store from a 78 rpm record (1940s?):
Video Link

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
Workers are currently constructing the framing for the storefronts on Fifth Street. Sadly, I don't have a good photograph of the storefronts.

Credit: a_s_mitchell

Credit: the_painted_porch_winston

Random Photographs:

Rough terrain in the West Salem Neighborhood:

Credit: revsarahhowler

The mountains you see from downtown Winston-Salem have beautiful waterfalls:

Credit: thesourwitch

West End Village Neighborhood:

Credit: jk.lawson

Winston-Salem's "high line" elevated bike and walking path on a former rail line (This bridge is called "Rainbow Road" by cyclists):

Credit: justinchandler1988

Do you have 3D red/blue anaglyph glasses:

Credit: JPDoesTV

Your City