View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 10:58 PM

Anyone know what this little 'machine' does? -is it a music selector

detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Almost certainly it is. I've seen much the same sort of setup at Cafe 50's, (all of those, probably), where they have a main jukebox in addition to the tabletop devices that accept money and offer a subset of the main jukebox. All the tabletop devices "communicate" with the main system by some sort of pre-computer electromechanical system.

It makes me miss the last days of real jukeboxes, when vinyl was replaced by CDs, and the machines could say a lot about the culture of a given bar or pub. The jukebox at the bar where I used to hang out at in the early 1990s had King Crimson and pretty much anything else that was progressive, alternative, psychedelic, or from the better kinds of classic rock.

Since the advent of internet-based jukeboxes we've lost that kind of individuality.
I am a bit of a jukebox afficianado and this had me baffled for a while. It didn't look like a wallbox from any of the major jukebox makers, at least not any I was familiar with, but it appears to be a Packard Pla Mor. It has a unique design and differs from the more common units by Seeburg, Wurlitzer etc.

From eBay

Last edited by Bristolian; Dec 21, 2015 at 11:15 PM.