View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Very nice set. Everyone would apparently agree that the subject is fine anyway.

Wondering whether they would ever dare to retire their stock of old streetcars to operate some modern and bigger. These ancient and quaint in particular seem like part of the city heritage to entertain tourists.

I believe the rolling stock of New Orleans is much like these and fulfils that same tourist mission. It won't prevent the city from expanding their network, but would they give up on their ancient cars for some recent, longer and probably faster? Newer lines should operate some modern vehicles though.

I loved riding the cable cars and the vintage streetcars. The cable cars are a great tourist draw no doubt, but they are also very well suited to the steep hills. It looks like a lot of work to operate the cable cars, they each have two operators and some of them are characters who banter with the tourists.

The vintage streetcars also seem to work pretty well, they serve the busy F market line, which seems to be well used by tourists and locals. Much of the line has a dedicated median, and the other streets are very busy, so speed is not an issue. You can't really go fast anywhere in San Francisco, but you can still get places because it's compact.

We bought three-day unlimited transit passes, so we also rode electric trolleys and buses. And bikes, and ferry, and car and airplane. I've never used so many modes of transportation in once place.