View Single Post
Old Posted May 25, 2014, 2:02 PM
Moran supreme

Temporary installation - back in 2000 Calgary had Udderly Art, 125 painted cows scattered about the city. There is still a small display/explanation at the Legacy Pasture located on the +15 level walkway of the Centennial Parkade downtown on the north side of 9th Avenue - information on this past art installation here.

FWIW, the very controversial 'Travelling Light' in Calgary ($470k)...

Of note, in Calgary 1% of a project (not sure of the exact details) has to go towards public art at that project's location - now a very hotly debated issue since the 'blue ring' which means some $2 million plus for a new art installation as a part of Calgary's new airport tunnel project.

Personally, I support public art as I believe it makes a city that much more liveable although I believe that the placement of said art needs to be in locations that the public can truly appreciate it/get in touch with it and that is the problem with the 'blue ring' in Calgary - located where the average pedestrian/cyclist/whomever just can't stop or get to to enjoy/admire/contemplate the piece from close up. Art often becomes loved and great because of it being in a location where the public can actually get up close and interact with it.

Another public piece (Courage and Thunder) in Calgary that is yes, very western, and that most of the public never has seen and paid any attention to...

Last edited by speedog; May 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM. Reason: Grammar editing