View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 1:54 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
Volgous is right on the money. The simple, sorry truth is that even for the bare bones system we run now, not every train is packed. NY/Chicago/Boston/DC, etc all have something in in common that SEPTA lacks:

Choice riders.

in many areas of the 5 boroughs, taking the subway is the no-ish decision. It's fast, extensive, convenient/frequent and cheap. None of those things really apply to SEPTA outside the very inner core of Philly. Once outside the city itself, using transit for local trips simply isn't feasible on the frequencies and types of routes they run. The Regional Rail is pretty nice, but again, the frequencies are not good outside rush hour. The Sub is a joke, I work with people who live 5-6 blocks away from a BSS stop and never use it, the primary reason being crime/drama. The MFL is somewhat better, but outside of the very nabes it serves, is not genuinley accessable to the region.

Pile that on with late buses/trains, rude employees, and questionable saftey, it really isn't any wonder the transit system in philly is what it is. 99% of people with alternate means (read: car) will use them over SEPTA. It's sad, but it's the cold hard truth. Change the public image of transit and it will prosper....
I'll agree with that to a point. SEPTA is less of an option of last resort now than it was a decade ago. It needs a makeover like peanut butter needs jelly but anyone who has been a consistent rider for an extended period of time can't deny that the system is at least somewhat better than it used to be. There are several factors that would improve the SEPTA experience that are outside of its control - one being destinations. There are many places that are accessible via the system but not as well as they should be. The city being served has to be improved before all the things attached to it start to improve - a rising tide lifts all ships. SEPTA's fortunes sank with Philadelphia's and have and will rise as the city's does.

Brad Maule, myself and two other photographers did a one-day special on SEPTA last week on phillyskyline.com. I invite you to take a look.