View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2006, 5:23 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtheengineer
The Niagara Falls Factory Outlets have definetly contributed to the downfall of the Niagara Square. The addition of a Future Shop should really help it though.

Then Pen Center in St. Catharines is also sucking the life out of all other malls in the Region. The Seaway Mall in Welland is a ghost town!

Thats cool that it has a twin in Waterloo.
I'm curious what will happen to Seaway if the 406 is finally expanded to a fully divided 4 lane highway all the way into Welland. The City of St. Catharine's current strategy is to be the Region's major retail commercial centre. So far, in combination with the ever expanding 4th Ave. Big Box area and the Pen it's working.

But then again, Seaway really hasn't been much over the past 15 years or so, if anything it has improved recently. I'm sure a lot of the sucking is being caused by the mega Wal-Mart up the street too.

Both Conestoga Mall in Waterloo and Niagara Square were originally identical twins, right down to the locations of the Bay, Zellers, Shoppers Drug Mart, CIBC. While the Square started dying, Conestoga thrived and even expanded to have a Zehrs connection with additional shops. I wonder if the Winners going into Niagara Square will be in the same location that is sits in, in Conestoga. (Across from the food court)

Flickr®