View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I very much agree except for the part where you're making an apparent comparison between Obama's opening offers and Rauner's. The difference is huge and it has to do with the actual quality of the policy contents. Obama's might be non-starters in that he knows the republican congress won't go for them, but there is this little detail that for the most part they are reasonable, pretty centrist and more-or-less good public policy (not in entirety perhaps but the very solid majority). Sure, Rauner likewise knows that the IL dem-controlled legislature won't buy his gambit, but the quality of the policy contents is absolutely horrendous, and of course politically it's quite extremist.....
Yes, very true. I should qualify my statement: these pitches are absurd because everyone knows that they have zero chance of happening not necessarily because of their merit or lack thereof. But yes, I agree: in terms of quality, Obama's most "absurd" policy proposals are pretty reasonable/centrist--at least by '90s standards.