View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 5:01 PM

I'd say we actually have quite a lot of British style architecture, in the East, and much more than in Australia. I've lived in Melbourne and Sydney and just like here, the older architecture is very British, and then it diverges. Sydney's architecture looks more like LA and Melbourne is more like Toronto.

I always found Front Street, looking toward the Dominion Public Building, reminds me of Oxford Street in London. And the high streets of Toronto are very reminiscent of the UK. From Queen to Eglinton, aside from the straightness (and careless public features like the obnoxious overhead yellow traffic lights and sidewalks), the feel is very English.

Central Ottawa's older buildings have a regal, London feel. where I found Canada feels really different than the England - but not Scotland, is how all our buildings are designed around winter. Save for BC, you don't get the indoor/outdoor spaces like Europe or even Australia. Here, you generally know for sure whether you're indoor or outdoor, there some newer retail buildings are more of a weather shell to keep the rain out.

Also, Lower Water Street in Halifax, beside Queen's Marque, jumps out to me as Belfast-like.