View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
The galley. The food was mostly good, but of course very little in the way of freshies (fresh fruit or vegetables). Christmas dinner was the best... there was prime rib and... SALAD!
When I was there, in summer when the planes could fly, we got fresh produce almost every day. But the special note was the meat: Not long before I went there the US had found it "diplomatic" to buy tons of meat from Australia so there was a warehouse full of frozen beef in McMurdo. And because each living quarters had its own kitchen (so you could shelter in place during "whiteout" storms), those not living in the large building where the main galley was could requisition any kind of meat they wanted. We in the Medical team got mounds of filet mignon and made everything out of it.

Also, during the winter we had these cans of freeze-dried shrimp which, when reconstituted, made very acceptable shrimp cocktails. So we had shrimp cocktail with every meal or anytime you wanted a snack. The Navy, in its wisdom, calculated that people doing outside work required 7000 calories per day. So everyone was encouraged to EAT, EAT, EAT (I had no part in that calculation). I gained 40 pounds over the year and spent the last couple of months on a crash diet.