View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 9:52 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
There's a tiny settlement from my country out there as well. It's called 'Adélie Land'. You might have heard of it much more than I did since your occupation has taken you to this isolated continent that's been basically shared between several nations, mostly for scientific purpose, I assume.

Here's the distribution of the territory, for anyone curious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territ..._in_Antarctica

I didn't know the US had no official part of theirs, but they have some stations such as that you went to anyway.
Territorial claims probably don't matter so much over there after all. The scientific community has to be smarter than those claims.

I just googled the spot where the French community of scientists would stay over there, it's called Dumont d'Urville Station. Of course, it is just a little bunch of booths meant for scientists and no one ever hears of it over here, except for specialized folks.

It's probably very fine this way. The spot should remain pristine and at peace, so studies are not spoiled by any disturbance.
They say it helps them better understand the current state / shape of Earth, which is definitely important.
Yes France (with Italy) also maintains Concordia Station at Dome C. I've talked to some people who have been there... apparently the toilet facilities are difficult (due to strict separation between #1 and #2) but the food is great!