View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 10:53 PM
Rockin' Buffet Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinottawa
I find the same thing about U of W students. Many of my friends who went to Windsor were always bashing the school -- or saying it was not as good as other schools ("I only go to Windsor") -- without any true basis of comparison. I think it is this type of inferiority complex that hurts the school in the MacLean's and Globe and Mail rankings.

Only when the attitudes of the insiders change will the school's (and the city's) reputation improve.
Yup, that's exactly how it was throughout high school and college for me. Most kids would go on and on about how Windsor sucks, it's the armpit of Ontario, etc. Then they would explain how they were already planning to move somewhere else to go to school or as soon as they graduated (typical destinations were the GTA or Vancouver).

It seems that the vast majority of Windsorites are infected with this attitude.

I was just perusing a Windsor message group elsewhere before my visit here and found an entire thread of Windsor born folks saying how awful Windsor is and how it's just becoming a "little Detroit". Funny enough, the first guy who tried to derail the bandwagon was a Lebanese immigrant. He apparently made a mistake though when he told the folks to just leave the city if they don't like it. Some folks took offence to that and concluded that they somehow belonged here more than the immigrant simply because some of them or their parents where here first, despite the fact that they hate the city.

Sad really.