View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I agree with q12, it is time to get the ball moving. I signed the petition. I wonder if the author of the petition is on this forum.

To bad there isn't enough space on the SMU campus for a large stadium. One negative against the SMU site is that it doesn't have highway access like the DND/Halifax Forum area or Dartmouth Crossings). Do you think that SMU might be interested in playing their games off-campus? If they would be willing to play their games at the new stadium they would be able to redevelop the current SMU field for academic purposes.
I think SMU would play games off campus if it meant a better facililty and better attendance.

Another area that a stadium would fit is off of Dunbrack Street between Knightsridge Dr and Wentworth Dr. I'm not sure what the plan is for that land, it was used for radio towers in the past. The access to the 102 from Dunbrack street is excellent, and Dunbrack was built to accommodate six lanes in the future. It would also be close to Mount Saint Vincent University.

I feel that HRM owes its citizens something from the failed commonwealth games fiasco, and especially Mayor Kelly. What we need is to come up with some options to offer to council. They should include 2-3 different size stadiums ranging from a small affordable and upgradeable stadium to a larger facility like the one planned for Winnipeg. Also several sites should be suggested so that there will not be instant rejection due to an unacceptable location.

We've got some pretty development savvy people on this forum, we should be able to come up with some great ideas that could be forwarded to the right people. Just imagine if this little form could be the catalyst to get the ball rolling on a new stadium for Halifax and for Nova Scotia.

Last edited by q12; Oct 28, 2009 at 9:19 PM.