View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 7:38 AM

What I don't really like about where Toronto's skyline has been going is that it seems to be approving and constructing a lot of mega-complexes of twin or triplet towers. Some of the newer designs are at least breaking from the blue glass box issue that has already proliferated across the Toronto skyline. But still, there's too much copy and paste of the same designs. I think twins/triplets can be nice sparingly, but if you think of the iconic skylines of Chicago or New York, or even other cities like Hong Kong, Shanghai, Frankfurt, or London, you don't see Tower I & II with repeat designs at maybe different heights. Yes, in New York and especially Hong Kong, the residential high rise areas can be quite repetitive but the main skylines are full of eye-catching, distinctive buildings.

The growth of Toronto's skyline is impressive and if all comes to plan, it's going to have serious heft and intensity. But it still won't have anything stick out beyond the CN Tower, especially now that the old bank towers have been so obscured. Calgary has long had this issue too, and now Montreal looks to be catching up to this phenomenon with its very-tall (for its skyline) condos that will strongly alter the that city's skyline, which has been probably one of the more distinct we've got in Canada.